What to Do if Your Spouse is Hiding Assets
Divorce can get messy and some spouses may attempt to hide assets or property to avoid having to share them during the split. Thankfully, you have some essential tools at your disposal that can help discover these assets and protect what is yours. However, you will have to hire an experienced divorce attorney to obtain the best results for your case.
Uncovering Hidden Assets in a Divorce
When it comes to uncovering hidden assets, the best tool available to divorcing spouses is known as the discovery process. When spouses refuse to be transparent or cooperate during a divorce, the discovery process can be used to obtain essential information that is necessary to appropriately divide marital assets.
Below is a breakdown of what the discovery process may include:
- Demands for documents, such as financial statements, account records, tax returns, and loan applications.
- Your spouse may be required to answer written questions known as interrogatories or admit to certain statements you know are true.
- You can request to inspect certain pieces of property, such as a jewelry collection or the contents of a safe deposit box.
- Your spouse may be asked to provide a testimony under oath, which is also referred to as an oral deposition.
- You may subpoena documents which your spouse refuses to provide, such as employment records, bank statements, and other financial records.
If your spouse is being particularly difficult about providing the information you need for the divorce, the discovery process is an effective and formal way to compel your spouse to comply with your requests. Additionally, your attorney may bring in certain specialists, such as a forensic accountant, to comb through your finances and find anything your spouse may be attempting to hide, and an appraiser to value real property or personal property.
Schedule a Case Review with a Knowledgeable Family Law Attorney Today!
If you are ending your marriage and do not believe your spouse is being forthcoming with the necessary information, do not hesitate to hire a skilled family law attorney. At Law Practice, Ltd., our attorney is backed by more than 30 years of experience. You can rely on our team to provide exceptional legal guidance and advice, so you can protect your assets. When you choose to work with us, you receive personalized attention and tailored solutions.
Reach out to our law office today at (702) 899-2875 to set up an initial consultation with our attorney to learn more about what we can do to help you throughout this process.